Basic Questions To Ask a Roof Plumber During a Roof Inspection
Table of Contents
Roof plumbers are armed with essential know-how and can diagnose the cause of your roof leaks better than anyone else.
However, as a consumer, you should always arm yourself with stock knowledge as it’ll prove vital down the line and prevent you from getting ripped off by dodgy tradesmen.
Here’s some questions you should ask a roof plumber Melbourne when they come over to inspect your roof:
Ask the roof plumber to show and demonstrate why the work needs to be carried out
Nobody should take ones word for it especially if you haven’t visually seen why first-hand.
The roof certainly isn’t a place where anyone can take a look and see what’s wrong (which is why you’ve probably called out a roof plumber in the first place!) but get the roofer to take some pictures or a video or two showing the troubled areas and get a solid explanation as to why the necessary work is needed.
Chances are he’ll be right about what he’s saying, but it’s always good to see it first-hand.
Ask the roof plumber why your roof needs repairs, a restoration or a replacement
Not all roofs are made the same and not all roofs have undergone equal wear and tear over the years.
This is why your roof may need a full replacement but you’re only being suggested some patch repair jobs (for their benefit).
There are also circumstances where your roof only has minor damages here and there but a roof plumber may be pressuring you to get a roof restoration or replacement.
We understand that, of course, a roof restoration or roof replacement will solve all your roofing problems, but it doesn’t come cheap and if the roof is in condition to have only repairs carried out then so be it.
Now, the difference between a roof restoration and a roof replacement could be fairly small.
A roof replacement is the daddy of roofing services but not everyone can afford it therefore a roof restoration maybe the wiser option – especially for those gorgeous Victorian or Edwardian homes with elegant tiled roofs.
But at the end of the day it’s a case to case basis and ultimately once you have all the pros and cons, you’ll be in a better position to make the right decision.
Ask the roof plumber about their workmanship guarantees and material manufacturer warranties
The last thing you want is for some fly-by roofer or roofing company to do the job for you, then a few months or years later they’re turning a blind eye or worse, they’re no longer in business!
You can have this sussed before the roof plumber turns up – checkout his/their website, online reviews, social media and even give them a good old fashioned phone call and ask them directly.
If you want to ask them directly you can ask how long is a roof restoration guarantee last for and does it cover any flaking or peeling of any membrane systems?
What exactly covers the workmanship guarantee – re-bedding? re-pointing? valleys? removal/replacement of chipped tiles? paint? installation?
Here at Harley & Sons, we have a workmanship guarantee of at least 6-years and material manufacturer warranties can go as high as 50-years, depending on the roofing material. We’ll take care of you years after installation date so that you’ll have the peace of mind you deserve.
Ask the roof plumber about his/the company’s licenses, insurance and registration
This should also be standard stuff for most roof plumbers/roof companies out there, but there’s no harm quizzing them about their Victorian Building Authority (VBA) license(s) and what their insurance coverage covers.
It’s worth noting that, roof plumbers should have the VBA Roofing (stormwater) license as that pretty much covers most of the typical roof plumbing work which includes, but isn’t limited to:
- installing eaves gutters
- fabricating and installing downpipes
- installing box gutters, outlets, overflows, rain heads and sumps
- installing drains above ground and downpipes for the roof drainage system
- installing flashings such as soaker, step, apron, valley, ridge, pressure and side flashings
- installing flash penetrations to fixtures such as vent pipes, skylights, air conditioning units, flues and exhaust fans
- installing rainwater tanks to collect drinking water
- laying and securing metal roof sheeting safely.
Ask the roof plumber about his/their involvement with sub-contractors
This is always an important on and should be known pretty early on in the negotiation phase.
Some roofing companies use sub-contractors, some declare it and some don’t (need to).
It gets tricky in terms of red tape – liability, insurance and everything else so it’s essential to find out what their working structure is.
Ask the roofer about the job completion timeframe and what precautions they’ll take with regards to neighbours/surroundings
If you’re working to a particular deadline then you should definitely ask how long the job will take. Once there’s a commitment on both sides, then that date should be set in stone (depending of course on anything that changes during the process).
If your home is is terraced or just generally within close proximity to things which could affect safety or damage, then it’s always a good idea to ask how the roof plumber will approach the job at hand.
Safety should always be the number one priority and any experienced roofer should have a plan set out before they start any job.
Coordination with the necessary agencies or property owners is a must for any borderline situations and therefore the roof plumber needs to play a big part in ensuring everything will go smoothly before, during and after the job.
There’s definitely more questions to ask any roof plumber or roofing company – you could definitely get technical about some of the aspects but the questions above are some basic ones to ask before putting pen to paper and signing any contract.
If you’re looking to get any roofing work done, you don’t need to worry about any of the above as our roof plumbers here at Harley & Sons have ample experience with roofing and have carried out hundreds of jobs in and around Melbourne.
Contact us now for a roof inspection in Melbourne and we’ll be ready to answer your roofing questions.
Why is a roof inspection necessary?
A roof inspection is necessary to assess the condition of your roof, identify any existing or potential issues, and determine if any repairs or roof maintenance are required to ensure your roof’s longevity and functionality.
How often should I schedule a roof inspection?
It is recommended to schedule a roof inspection at least once every year, preferably before and after extreme weather conditions such as storms or heavy snowfall. Additionally, inspections should be conducted before purchasing a new property or when planning major renovations.
What does a roof inspection entail?
During a roof inspection, a qualified roof plumber will examine the overall condition of your roof, inspect for leaks, cracks, damaged shingles or tiles, check the flashing around chimneys and vents, assess the gutters for clogs or damage, and evaluate the overall structural integrity of your roofing system.
- Signs You Need to Replace Your Gutters
- Roof Maintenance 101: What Maintenance Should Be Done on a Roof?
- Roof Restoration or Full Replacement: Making the Best Choice for Your Roof
- Roof Restoration – When to Restore Your Roof Rather than Replace
- How Long Does a Melbourne Roof Restoration Take?
- Metal Roofing Advantages And Disadvantages
- Understanding Commercial Roof Drainage Systems
- What Can You Call a Roof Plumber For? Understanding the Services Offered
- Why Replace Your Tiled Roof with Colorbond Roof in 2024: The Advantages for Homeowners
- Anatomy of a Roof Inspection in Melbourne: Ensuring the Integrity of Your Roof
- Metal Roof vs. Tiled Roof for Melbourne Homeowners: Making the Right Choice
- Licensed vs Non-Licensed Roofers in Melbourne: Understanding the Difference
- Laws and Regulations for Having Roofing Work Done to Your Melbourne Home
- Best Types of Guttering for Melbourne Homes
- Common Types of Roof Repair in Melbourne: Why Restoration or Replacement is Preferred
- Why Winter is the Best Time for a Roof Restoration in Melbourne
- Finding the Best Roof Plumber in Melbourne with Harley & Sons
- Exploring Colorbond Gutters for Your Home
- An Overview of the Roofing Industry in Australia
- Metal Roof vs Tiled Roof: Which One is Right for You? [The Big Debate]
- Factors Which Contribute to Hiring the Best Roofing Company
- Why Is It Best to Restore Rather Than Replace a Roof?
- Roof Company Near Me: Finding the Right Contractor for Your Roofing Needs [Updated: October 2023]
- The Key Components Of A Great Gutter Replacement
- Melbourne Roof Restoration In 2024
- Roof Restoration vs. Roof Replacement
- The Importance Of A New Roof For An Old House
- Benefits Of Installing A New Roof
- Why Colorbond Roofing Leads The Way In 2024
- How To Choose The Best Roof Installers
- Why is it Important to Maintain Your Roof Gutters?
- Roof Restoration – An Easy and Economical Process
- Roof Repair Jobs in Melbourne
- Advantages of Metal Roofing
- Qualities Of A Top Melbourne Roof Service Company
- History of Colorbond Roofing Steel
- 6 Benefits Of A Roof Restoration
- Popular Melbourne Roof Restoration Q&A’s
- How Much Is A Roof Repair Going To Cost You?
- Should You Call A Roof Plumber, Roof Contractor or a Roofer?
- Restore Or Replace Your Roof: Experts Advice
- Here’s Why You Should Replace Your Tiled Roof With Colorbond
- 5 Signs Of A Trusted Melbourne Roofing Contractor
- Gutter Replacement Cost 101
- Why Colorbond Roofing is Australia’s Premier Steel?
- Things That Impact the Cost of a Roof Restoration
- Basic Questions To Ask a Roof Plumber During a Roof Inspection
- What You Need To Know About A Roof Restoration
- 4 Signs Your Roof Needs a Roof Replacement
- Replace A Roof – 5 Popular Questions Answered – (Updated 2023)
- Three Reasons to Replace Roof Tiles with Colorbond
- Where To Go for The Best Roof Restoration?
- Using a Roof Restoration to Improve Your Home’s Standing in the Real Estate Market
- How Roof Restoration Companies in Melbourne Distinguish Between Roof Restoration and Replacement
- Here’s Why Colorbond Roofing is the Top Pick Among Homeowners
- Why Choose Boral Roofing?
- Roof Restorations in Western Melbourne
- Metal Roofs: Why Consider Them?
- The Importance Of Roofing in Melbourne
- Colorbond Roofing For Your Property
- Melbourne’s Second-generation Family Roof Restoration Specialists
- Gutter Replacement Melbourne with Harley & Sons Roofing
- Everything to Know About Colorbond Roofing