Should You Call A Roof Plumber, Roof Contractor or a Roofer?
Table of Contents
When your roof or gutters are leaking, you’ll be looking for someone to fix them, but people don’t often know that a roof plumber, a roof contractor and a roofer have their differences.
We’ll give you definitions of the three roofing terms below (in no particular order):
What is a roof plumber?
The word ‘plumber’ is key to distinguish a good Melbourne roof plumber from the rest. A roof plumber is not only trained and skilled in installing gutters, downpipes and the like, but they are also experts in rain and stormwater.
They understand the ins and outs of a roof structure and are fully trained to diagnose and treat water ingress before and after it has occurred.
A roof plumber also has an eye for interpreting and reading blueprints and diagrams relating to the drainage systems making them the go-to people when it comes to roofing jobs involving leaks or drainage systems.
Here in Victoria, roof plumbers need the following requirements:
- AS3500 National Plumbing and Drainage Code
- HB 39 Installation code for metal roof and wall cladding
- HB 114 Guidelines for the design of eaves and box gutters
As well as being able to:
- work safely at heights, including on scaffolding or elevated work platforms
- know the different types of roof flashing and how they differ
- know which roof materials are not compatible
- perform calculations and measurements necessary to use roofing materials and install a roofing systems
What is a roof contractor?
On the other end of the scale are roofing contractors or a roofing contractor. A roofing contractor is someone who is licensed by the (State) Government to carry out pretty much all roofing work.
When you think of the word ‘contractor’ you can think of it also as a roofing company – unlike a roof plumber or a roofer, a roof contractor isn’t usually just one person (although it can be one person from the roofing company that they are employed from.
Even though a roof contractor does/should possess the skills and qualifications of roof plumbers, it’s common to associate roof contractor work as being more on the ‘larger’ scale – your roof restorations and roof replacements.
Think of it as an agency, where if you have an agreement with the agency (contractor) it will up to the contractor to deploy who they deem necessary to carry out job. This could be down to a number of reasons including the scope of the work and location.
Whereas as a roof plumber, your agreement is pretty much a 1 on 1 contract.
What is a roofer?
A roofer is probably the loosest term out of the three as it can be anyone from someone who is a licensed roofing contractor to a general contractor to an unlicensed roofing contractor or even someone who already works for a melbourne roofing company.
The term can be pretty broad so it’s essential to find out whether they are licensed or not and check their credentials out before proceeding with any work.
As a rule of thumb, if the quote is too good to be true, then it probably is.
Which one do you need?
Generally, if you’re looking for small, one-off type of roofing services jobs then either a roof plumber or roofer can suffice. However, that’s not to say that a roof contractor cannot carry out the same job.
For the more larger-scale roofing jobs such as roof restorations, roof replacements or roof installations – you’ll definitely find better quality results in your Google searches using ‘roof contractors’.
At the end of the day, it can boil down to what your budget is, when exactly you need the work done or what licenses/qualifications one holds.
After learning the crucial distinctions between roof plumbers, roof contractors, and roofers in our blog post, it’s clear that when it comes to your roofing needs, you should trust the experts at Harly & Sons Roofing.
Our experienced team specializes in roof maintenance, restorations, and installations, ensuring your roof stays in top condition. Don’t compromise on the safety and longevity of your roof – contact us today for reliable, professional service that you can trust.
Do I need to contact multiple professionals for different roofing tasks?
Depending on the complexity of your project, it may be necessary to hire multiple professionals. However, many contractors offer comprehensive services that cover various aspects of roofing.
How can I choose the right professional for my roofing needs?
Consider their experience in the field, certifications or licenses they hold, customer reviews and references, as well as their ability to address specific requirements related to your project.
Is it important for these professionals to have insurance coverage?
Yes! It is crucial for all these professionals (roof plumbers, contractors, and roofers) to carry insurance coverage to protect themselves and your property in case of accidents or damages that may occur during the job.
- Signs You Need to Replace Your Gutters
- Roof Maintenance 101: What Maintenance Should Be Done on a Roof?
- Roof Restoration or Full Replacement: Making the Best Choice for Your Roof
- Roof Restoration – When to Restore Your Roof Rather than Replace
- How Long Does a Melbourne Roof Restoration Take?
- Metal Roofing Advantages And Disadvantages
- Understanding Commercial Roof Drainage Systems
- What Can You Call a Roof Plumber For? Understanding the Services Offered
- Why Replace Your Tiled Roof with Colorbond Roof in 2024: The Advantages for Homeowners
- Anatomy of a Roof Inspection in Melbourne: Ensuring the Integrity of Your Roof
- Metal Roof vs. Tiled Roof for Melbourne Homeowners: Making the Right Choice
- Licensed vs Non-Licensed Roofers in Melbourne: Understanding the Difference
- Laws and Regulations for Having Roofing Work Done to Your Melbourne Home
- Best Types of Guttering for Melbourne Homes
- Common Types of Roof Repair in Melbourne: Why Restoration or Replacement is Preferred
- Why Winter is the Best Time for a Roof Restoration in Melbourne
- Finding the Best Roof Plumber in Melbourne with Harley & Sons
- Exploring Colorbond Gutters for Your Home
- An Overview of the Roofing Industry in Australia
- Metal Roof vs Tiled Roof: Which One is Right for You? [The Big Debate]
- Factors Which Contribute to Hiring the Best Roofing Company
- Why Is It Best to Restore Rather Than Replace a Roof?
- Roof Company Near Me: Finding the Right Contractor for Your Roofing Needs [Updated: October 2023]
- The Key Components Of A Great Gutter Replacement
- Melbourne Roof Restoration In 2024
- Roof Restoration vs. Roof Replacement
- The Importance Of A New Roof For An Old House
- Benefits Of Installing A New Roof
- Why Colorbond Roofing Leads The Way In 2024
- How To Choose The Best Roof Installers
- Why is it Important to Maintain Your Roof Gutters?
- Roof Restoration – An Easy and Economical Process
- Roof Repair Jobs in Melbourne
- Advantages of Metal Roofing
- Qualities Of A Top Melbourne Roof Service Company
- History of Colorbond Roofing Steel
- 6 Benefits Of A Roof Restoration
- Popular Melbourne Roof Restoration Q&A’s
- How Much Is A Roof Repair Going To Cost You?
- Should You Call A Roof Plumber, Roof Contractor or a Roofer?
- Restore Or Replace Your Roof: Experts Advice
- Here’s Why You Should Replace Your Tiled Roof With Colorbond
- 5 Signs Of A Trusted Melbourne Roofing Contractor
- Gutter Replacement Cost 101
- Why Colorbond Roofing is Australia’s Premier Steel?
- Things That Impact the Cost of a Roof Restoration
- Basic Questions To Ask a Roof Plumber During a Roof Inspection
- What You Need To Know About A Roof Restoration
- 4 Signs Your Roof Needs a Roof Replacement
- Replace A Roof – 5 Popular Questions Answered – (Updated 2023)
- Three Reasons to Replace Roof Tiles with Colorbond
- Where To Go for The Best Roof Restoration?
- Using a Roof Restoration to Improve Your Home’s Standing in the Real Estate Market
- How Roof Restoration Companies in Melbourne Distinguish Between Roof Restoration and Replacement
- Here’s Why Colorbond Roofing is the Top Pick Among Homeowners
- Why Choose Boral Roofing?
- Roof Restorations in Western Melbourne
- Metal Roofs: Why Consider Them?
- The Importance Of Roofing in Melbourne
- Colorbond Roofing For Your Property
- Melbourne’s Second-generation Family Roof Restoration Specialists
- Gutter Replacement Melbourne with Harley & Sons Roofing
- Everything to Know About Colorbond Roofing